Oji Fibre Solution‘s Packaging Southern facility has been recognised for its exceptional stormwater management practices, taking the Christchurch West Melton Water Management Zone Committee (CWMZC) Stormwater Superhero award for 2023.
CWMZC is a joint committee of Christchurch City Council, Selwyn District Council and Environment Canterbury. The annual Stormwater Superhero awards recognise industrial workplaces and land development, who excel in keeping harmful chemicals and pollutants out of drains, rivers, and the sea.
Officially opening in 2022, Packaging Southern is Oji Fibre Solution’s newest packaging facility located in Hornby, Christchurch, providing packaging solutions to the primary produce sector and other food producers in the South Island. Packaging Southern is a purpose-built, state-of-the-art cardboard manufacturing plant that boasts a comprehensive environmental management system (EMS) designed to minimise waste. The site has measures in place to recycle, contain, collect, and treat wastewater and solid wastes efficiently, and the team are well-trained to respond to any spills, ensuring minimal environmental impact.
The CWMZC panel awarded the win to Packaging Southern based on the following actions taken for stormwater protection:
- A large manufacturing plant operating to international standards through a comprehensive EMS;
- Minimising and recycling waste;
- Containing, collecting, and treating wastewater and solid wastes to avoid contamination of stormwater;
- Safe placement and handling of hazardous chemicals and spill response training and capabilities;
- Excellent monitoring, auditing, and reporting of environmental performance and adaptive management.